Google Play removed 8 cryptocurrency mining apps after these were found to be malicious
According to a blog post by security firm Trend Micro, Google Play has removed eight crypto mining apps after being malicious and fraudulently run by hackers.
Google Play takes down eight fake crypto mining apps run by scammers
Reportedly, these eight mining apps are tricking people into watching ads, paying for subscription services that cost an average of $15 per month, and paying for fake increased mining capabilities.
Furthermore, according to the analysis, eight apps were identified that did not have any crypto mining behavior. The fake mining activity on the apps’ user interface (UI) is done through a local mining simulation module with a counter and some random functions.
Reportedly, those eight names include:
- BitFunds – Crypto Cloud Mining
- Bitcoin Miner – Cloud Mining
- Bitcoin (BTC) – Pool Mining Cloud Wallet
- Crypto Holic – Bitcoin Cloud Mining
- Daily Bitcoin Rewards – Cloud Based Mining System
- Bitcoin 2021
- MineBit Pro – Crypto Cloud Mining & BTC miner
- Ethereum (ETH) – Pool Mining Cloud
Interestingly, two of these malicious apps come at a price. Users need to pay $12.99 to download Crypto Holic – Bitcoin Cloud Mining and $5.99 to download Daily Bitcoin Rewards – Cloud Based Mining System.
Also, Trend Micro said that it reported the compromised apps to Google Play, which then promptly removed them. Despite Google Play’s quick action, there are still numerous concerning applications that turn up when searching for cloud mining on the platform. Some of these have even been downloaded more than 100,00 times.
“Based on Trend Micro Mobile App Reputation Service (MARS) data, more than 120 fake cryptocurrency mining apps are still available online. These apps, which do not have cryptocurrency mining capabilities and deceive users into watching in-app ads, have affected more than 4,500 users globally from July 2020 to July 2021,” the firm said.
Furthermore, users who have installed rogue mining apps are asked to remove them and use security solutions to warn them about fraudulent apps to avoid these types of threats.
- SEC Reached A Settlement With 3 Bitconnect Promoters For Over $12 Million But The Case Is Not Over
- DeFi Protocol Luna Yield Has Gone Offline Without Reasons, Over $6.7 Million In Assets Had Been Taken