[Deribit] Desk Commentary: Calling All Options
In this week’s Desk Commentary, we are more expansive by including some data scientific approaches we have taken in linear products.
This dovetails nicely with equally actionable ideas on Deribit products.
- In a market bereft of conviction with a decidedly short half-life for trust, it’s fitting to ask not only where is accessible optionality but furthermore whether one’s tools are correctly calibrated to assess the value of a prospective option.
- Philosophically, the value of options can, as one simplifying heuristic, be expressed as the returns of dynamically hedging the instrument with the underlying asset according to a set of distributional assumptions which also inform risk neutral probabilistic assessments of the future moniness of the option.
- What isn’t contained in the theory is the requirement that the venue for the instrument be one in which actors have adequate trust to tie up capital to make the sorts of aforementioned wagers and in which, moreover, there is sufficient general interest that liquidity to enter and exit options positions remains adequate. Beyond that, an ability to fulfill the promise of a dynamically hedged strategy requires well-functioning marketplaces to go long and short the underlying.
- Within the crypto space, a number of those assumptions about persistence or trustworthiness of venues are being tested, and distortions in delta1 pricing and liquidity are pervasive as funding grows dysfunctional. Spot-futures basis on major exchanges in bitcoin has plunged into negative territory, for instance, as OTC coin borrows have dried up, with absolute annualized premiums pushing -25 to -30% on some venues for dated futures.
- In addition, the same constraints that dictate venue-based liquidity preference for delta1 hedges have also led to disparities in option markets, where an apparent dearth of fungibility of ‘vol’ amongst OTC, $ settled, and coin settled contracts, principally owing to systemic risk concerns, has been made manifest. Given the degree of prevailing uncertainty, it may seem strange, for instance, to see longer dated IVs closer to the lower quartiles of their distributions (31March23 ETH 25 delta calls at 75% implied vol come to mind for instance). Yet, with capital scarce and venue confidence periodically under fire, it remains to be seen who has and will deploy balance sheet to scoop what may turn out to be value priced optionality. In that context, the optical payout ratios for dated call spreads (such as March 1600/2000 at roughly 4% of ETH) do not look unreasonable – if there is willing dry powder to be spent on them.
- Yet non linear products are not the only instrument to offer a convex return profile. Particularly after the sharp selloff (and disparate performance) across the crypto complex, it has historically tended to be the case that some assets make better ‘recovery’ longs than others, particularly if one considers pairing longs against shorts. In that context, it would be remiss not cast a glance on the vertiginous moves in Litecoin (+27%) and to a lesser extent Ethereum Classic (+13%) in today’s modest bounce. While the drivers for the day’s idiosyncratic outperformance are worth a twitter feed (and then some), it is a worthwhile exercise to assess whether certain tokens such as these offer exposure akin to a call option on up-vol off a deeply discounted industry market cap. ETC’s beta to ETH has, in particular, on a metric of 5 day rolling ols estimator, demonstrated a propensity to surge from 1 to as much as 4; on longer time window, ETC outperformance of ETH has ranged from 1%-5% on a “rally” (defined for the purposes of this discussion as the top ~35%’tile of ETH returns), with an annualized information ratio > 8.
- The upshot of a casual assessment seems to suggest, not surprisingly, that with the chaos strewn through digital asset markets, there may be overlooked (or potentially underpriced) optionality to be exploited for sufficiently well capitalized and appropriately calibrated balance sheets.
Genesis Global Trading, Inc. and its global affiliates (collectively, “Genesis”) do not provide legal, compliance, tax or accounting advice. Genesis is a principal trading firm; it is not and does not act as a fiduciary or adviser, or in any similar capacity, in providing this material, which cannot be relied upon as investment, financial, legal, tax, regulatory, or any other type of advice. The information contained herein has not been prepared or tailored to address, and may not be suitable or appropriate for the particular financial needs, circumstances, or requirements of any person, and it should not be the basis for making any investment or transaction decision. THE INFORMATION IS NEITHER A RECOMMENDATION TO ENGAGE IN ANY TRANSACTION NOR RESEARCH MATERIAL.
This material contained herein is confidential and may not be distributed in whole or in part to anyone other than the intended recipients. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of all or any of this material or the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. These materials are incomplete without reference to, and should be viewed solely in conjunction with, the terms and disclosures set forth on the Genesis website, which are deemed incorporated herein.
The information provided in this communication does not constitute investment advice, financial advice, trading advice, or other advice. If any person elects to enter into transactions with Genesis, whether as a result of this material or otherwise, Genesis will enter into such transactions as principal only and will act solely in its own best interests, which may be adverse to your interests. Therefore, you are advised to make your own assessment of whether a Genesis service that you are considering is suitable for you and ensure that you have the necessary experience and knowledge to understand the risks involved in relation to those particular services, transactions or investments. Prior to entering into any transaction, you should determine, without reliance upon us or our affiliates, the economic risks and merits (and independently determine that you are able to assume these risks) as well as the legal, tax and accounting characterizations and consequences. In this regard, by accepting this material, you acknowledge that (a) we are not in the business of providing (and you are not relying on us for) legal, tax or accounting advice, (b) there may be legal, tax or accounting risks associated with any transaction, (c) you should receive (and rely on) separate and qualified legal, tax and accounting advice and (d) you should apprise senior management in your organization as to such legal, tax and accounting advice and our disclaimer as to these matters. By accepting receipt of this material, the recipient will be deemed to represent that they possess, either individually or through their advisers, sufficient investment expertise to understand the risks involved in any transactions or services discussed herein and that they have not relied in whole or in part on any of the information provided by Genesis in making such determination.
The trading of digital currency as herein described is an inherently risky activity. Digital currency does not benefit from the protections afforded by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation. A counterparty’s ability to enter into derivatives with Genesis depends on satisfying a number of regulatory requirements imposed on derivatives under the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and applicable law.
Any prices or levels contained herein are preliminary and indicative only and do not represent bids or offers. These indications are provided solely for your information and consideration, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not intended as an offer to sell or a solicitation to purchase any financial instrument. Nothing contained herein shall constitute any representation or warranty as to future performance of any financial instrument, credit, currency rate or other market or economic measure. In preparing this material, we have relied upon and assumed, without independent verification, the accuracy and completeness of all information available from public sources or which was otherwise reviewed by us. Genesis does not make any representations or warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy or completeness of the information provided herein. Any estimates included herein constitute our judgment as of the date hereof, are subject to change, may or may not be realized, and are not a complete analysis of every material fact. We and/or our affiliates may make a market in these instruments for our customers and for our own account. Accordingly, Genesis may have a position in any such instrument at any time.
Genesis and Genesis Trading are marketing names for certain businesses of Genesis Global Trading, Inc. and its global affiliates and if and as used herein may include as applicable employees or officers of any or all of such entities irrespective of the marketing name used. Products and services may not be available to all counterparties or in all jurisdictions. Securities and digital assets are not deposits or other obligations of any commercial bank, are not guaranteed by any commercial bank and are not insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. GGC International Limited is incorporated in the British Virgin Islands (“BVI”). Genesis Global Trading, Inc, a Delaware corporation, has been granted a Virtual Currency License by the New York State Department of Financial Services and is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as a broker dealer. Genesis Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. Is a private limited company organized under the laws of Singapore. Genesis Global Capital, LLC is a limited liability company organized under the laws of Delaware. Genesis Custody Limited is registered as a cryptoasset business with the UK Financial Conduct Authority.
© 2022 Genesis Global Trading, Inc. All rights reserved. “Genesis”, the Genesis logo, and other Genesis trademarks and service marks referenced herein are trademarks and service marks of Genesis and are used and registered throughout the world.